Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Footloose

I received a pass to view a screening of Footloose (the new remake) last night. Since I'm about music and movies of the 80's, this was great. I took my 17 year old niece, she was excited to go because her high school performed it as their spring musical last year. Gawd, that alone makes me feel old.
Going in I was nervous about it being all country-like. I know the story takes place in the country, but I didn't want to listen to country music all night. I was relieved.
First, three original songs were kept in the film, one was even kept to the original scene, and same exact song (Let's Hear For My Boy) original artist, recording, etc. Another was in it's original scene, but sung by different artists (Almost Paradise). The third is the iconic theme, also redone by different artists, but was placed in different scenes. Thierry was one or two country sings played, but there were also a rsp sing or two and a Quiet Riot, nice mix.
Even iconic scenes were reproduced just right. Instead of the iconic "barn solo dance" it was an abandoned factory, complete with a pulley to dangle from and wall slats, you guessed it, where the sunlight provided that striped background. Even some dance moves were recreated, in keeping it as the original, but mixed in lots of more modern dance steps and a more modern song.
Remember the scene where his friend remembers to dance? Still there. Again updated with some newer steps, but some original moves were there and the original song still played perfectly.
Lastly the "Prom" scene. This made me laugh. The character playing Kevin Bacon's roll had his hair pouffed like Kevin's throughout the movie, but that last scene, he was dressed in the same dark red dinner jacket and big goofy black bow-tie. Of course they had confetti shoot overhead as they did that iconic dance where everyone copied his moves behind him, like you saw in old Kevin Bacon movie posters.

It was a great homage to an iconic 80's movie. That's my take on it :)

No comments: