Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Celebrating My Greyhound

I have one, her name is Slate. her racing name had been "Clean slate" and she hailed from Florida. she is now 11 years old, a senior dog, but year or two left in her. Greyhound life expectancy, as pets, are 10-15. 15 years is not seen by too many. Slate will not finish out her 12th.
Today she went to the vet for an xray, she has cancer. It is rapidly growing on her face, it's pushing on her eye and her nasal cavity. One night she woke us up with a horrible snorting sound.

Eight years ago, I was still living with my grandmother. I wanted a dog and my Grandmother told of a news article she recently read about a guy in Philly who was litterly "flying" racing greyhounds up to be adopted and to be saved from a shorter life on the tracks. I had grew with big german sheperds and labadors. Having a Greyhound sounded intriuging, and saving it's life was more interesting. I needed a co-adopter since I was not a home owner, my Grandmother signed as co-adopter. In August, 1999, we were given Slate, an all black female that was a little roudy and visious with squeky toys and newspapers. She needed to be in a home with no other animals, that was us. she quickly had our hearts and shortly after, she had my husbands, who at the time I was dating. She loved running, so much she made it out the door and down the block a couple of times. She loved ripping squeaky toys to pieces.

Thsi past fall she needed 6 teeth removed. They were extracted. then the swelling from the surgury never went down. The thoguht she needed one other tooth removed, they went ahead and removed a 7th. Swellign still had not gone down. She been on many different antibiotics and none worked. So finally, via xray today, it was determined as a cancerous tumor.

They said to keep her comfortable for the next few weeks. I asked if she would make it to Easter or more, and he said no.

Greyhounds are amazing pets. Theyy are gentle, great with children. They don't pester, but do require to be on a leash. Someday, furthur down the road, we will get another one.

No comments: