Friday, July 27, 2007

An MRI story

Remove your clothes and change into this paper gown and pants, put your belongings into this locker. Keep the key, it's brass, safe to take in with you. I had to sit in one of two waiting chairs, both facing a large 4' wide door with metal edging and bolts taht had a large "warning" sign. The door opens, "Come in."
Inside awaits a gigantic machine, nothing else, and within the machine, a pinhole in which I am to be inserted.
I lay on the device's table where a helmet is insert onto my head, an open helmet thats purpose is something to do with the cameras. Within the helmet is a mirror which allows me to see out of the pinhole.
I am rolled in and the radiologist runs out into another room, comforting.
I have a panic button in my hand, in case it's too much for me, they will take me out so I could reschedule...NO THanks! The helmet also has a speaker in it so I can hear the radiologist if she speaks to me.

I hear a vert loud motor, very loud despite the squishy things in my ears. No music as I was told there would be by friends.

i do start to get overwelmingly nervous. I look into the mirror and what I see is the window of the radiologists booth, which is reflecting the image of my feet, and nothing behind them, only a large dome, NOT comforting.

I close my eyes instead and try to daydream. I am succesful, the loud hum is constant so I am able to vlock it out. I even start to feel as if I'm floating in a boat, or like what I am lying on moves up and down like the seat on Gravitron ride. Suddenly the pitch of the loud hum cahnges startling me making me jump, realizing how confined I am, wonderful. I start to feel tear drip down my cheeks, despite me not being sad. I must of been mildly, silently freaking out.
Finally it's over, I'm rolled out, I sit up and I feel dizzy and nauseous. I get into my car and I start to bawl, for no real reason only that I feel overcome by many emotions at once, plus the headache, dizzyness and nausea.
Later that night the headache is worst. The next morning the headsche persits into that night. two days later, finally it is al over with.
I'm told that if there is any potential for a brain anurism, they could detect it now, weather it would happen now or years from now, so I'm less likely to ever need an MRI again, Thank goodness! Now I'm waiting for the doctors results.

No comments: